Sunday, October 12, 2008

The leader's job

The leader's job is to help the girl dance. It's his job to make it possible for her to do things that she couldn't do on her own. The central responsibility of the leader is the girl.

Some guys forget this and some girls forget this. There are a few girls who allow other leaders to help them, but not me. With me they try to dance on their own. They just happen to be holding me at the time.

Use me girls. It's not like I don't know what I'm doing. I'm here to help.

"I'm here to help you. In fact all of the guys here are here to learn how to help you. But they can't learn to help you if you don't give them a chance to learn. you need to let them help you. Slow down. Wait for them. Let them lead. If they go slower than our count or the music, that's fine. Right now both of you are learning the core of dance: connection with your partner. Don't do the pattern on your own. Don't learn patterns. Learn to follow. After you learn how to follow well, learn to style. But never stop improving your following."

No comments: